Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Forgotten Wisdom

Photo by Dieter Krehbiel

July 5, 2017
I was just having a conversation with my daughter and mom last night about a similar topic. We watched Book of Life and Inara was asking if they killed the bulls in bullfighting and I said, "Yes." 

She was upset by this and didn't understand. I said, "Well, think about all the movies that depict someone getting killed." 

She said, "But the movies aren't real and no one really gets hurt." 

Photo by Eduardo Teixeira Pinto

I said, "Yes, this is true, but it seems that humans have not yet evolved past the point of loving violence as entertainment."

I explained how, before we had movies, the violence played out in an arena when two people would fight 'til the death. Humans love violence. They love pain, blood, gore and misery. 

Until we can turn away and say, "I don't enjoy this and I don't want to see this", we will never evolve into a higher species. Until we no longer are entertained by suffering, there will always be suffering in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment