Thursday, March 31, 2022

Hire Me, Please

I saved this meme weeks before it would become my reality. On Monday, I took my little 9 year old dachshund into the vet because she was breathing funny. She has some bad teeth that need to come out ASAP. The estimate for the procedure is $1500. As a stay-at-home-mom with no income, I thought "how can I make this happen?" I'm not ready to lose her and just give up on her, but I also don't have $1500 just laying around to use. We live paycheck to paycheck.

I asked my daughter's father to give me a job. I asked him to do this long before the pet healthcare emergency. His excuse is he isn't allowed to hire family. When they were desperate for staff, I asked him to talk to his employers and ask them to make an exception because I was available to work immediately and he was traveling two hours to work everyday anyway. This way we would have two incomes coming in for the amount of money he is spending on gas to keep the job. He simply ignores me every time I suggest it.

The reality is, I haven't had a proper job for 14 years since our daughter was born. We have homeschooled, but at nearly 14, I think she will be okay while I go to work. The problem is, it's been so long that I have worked that all of my work experience and contacts are too old to use and I haven't stayed in touch with the former employers enough to use them as references. In my spiritual journey, I let go of all of my friends, so I not longer have personal references either. 

My daughter's father seems content to keep me trapped as an indentured slave. Sure, I get housing and food but no money of my own and no extras like clothes and vet care for my dog. His solution is always "go get a job" and yet he is unwilling to try to give me an opportunity to help me get back on my feet so that I have experience and references again.

My other limitation is that I don't own a vehicle and, when he goes to work, he is 2 hours away so using his vehicle isn't even a possibility most days. I either have to be able to walk to work or it has to be on a bus route that is easy to get to. 

I have a good driving record. I successfully drove across to the east coast and back to the west. If someone had a car and needed me to drive them around, I could do this. I have no criminal record, I have high morals and I have a strong sense of right and wrong. The best and worst quality about me is my honesty. I'm very honest, but not everyone always wants an honest answer.

"What is my skill set?" you might wonder.

I'm skilled at taking care of people, animals, houses, etc. I was a nanny for 17 years and I raised my daughter for the last 14. That's 31 years in total of taking care of people. I cook, I clean, I wash dishes, I do laundry, I mow lawns, I buy groceries, I drive people where they need to be, and I clean a whole lot of poop. Literally and emotionally. I'm a good conversationalist, I don't watch much TV. I write poetry and love to go hiking. I love to listen to music and love to swim.

I'm not materialistic. I would rather have experiences than things. I don't smoke or drink. I have never been interested in being in an altered state and I am not all that adventurous. I don't mind new experiences, but I am mostly content with living a simple and calm life. 

While I sometimes need someone to help coax me into new experiences, I am what some would call a "freak". I have weird beliefs and put a lot of myself and my growth experiences out there for anyone to read should they want to. This can seem quite risky and dangerous to those not used to revealing much about their inner world. And, the thing is, I don't want to have to hide this about myself for a job. I want to be accepted openly for my weirdness and all the other assets I bring to the table. I want a job where I can be me openly and you can be you openly and maybe we will even become great friends.

I don't want to be an indentured slave anymore. I want to be paid for the things I do. I want someone who will appreciate what I do and would never refer to it as me "doing nothing all day". I want a living wage where I can gain my independence and live on my own comfortably and not just paycheck to paycheck. I want to laugh a lot and love my life.

Maybe you are someone who needs what I have to offer and can monetarily compensate for what I can do for you. I'd be willing to relocate if necessary, but I really do love Oregon very much, so if you live in Oregon, too, that would be most excellent.

Dear Universe, 

This is me asking for for help. This is me saying, I need a job so I can save my dog but also live an independent and happy life. Please send me an opportunity that is perfect for me.

Love,

Oktobre

No comments:

Post a Comment