Friday, February 19, 2021

One Eyed Man Dream

"in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king" Painting by Piotr Janusz


Dream Journal Entry: February 19, 2021

I took a nap and dreamed about moving. There was something about my friend, MaryAnn, giving me a ride somewhere. She was driving a station wagon and had other people with her. There was something about a king sized mattress she had with her and I was helping her move it because she is having trouble with it. I was surprised at how light it was compared to the one I had been sleeping on. I told her about how difficult my king sized mattress is to move because it is so heavy. I think she is talking about getting rid of it and I was thinking I would maybe offer to buy it from her.

For some reason I am taking the mattress with me and I am going to meet her with it somewhere. The weight of it isn't difficult at all for me because I was used to one so much heavier but it was difficult for her. 

Now it seems I am traveling through my home town and I am feeling like I want coffee before I hit the road with MaryAnn and I am looking for a coffee place. I am thinking they probably don't have a Peet's here so I settle for some alternative. When I go into this place, they are getting ready to close for the day because they had sold out of all of the made coffee for the day. I recognize one of the workers but I feel uncertain because where I know him from was a completely different location. I knew him in michigan and it felt out if context to see him here in Missouri. I said, "Is that you, Tom?" He recognized me right away and came forward near to me where I was trying to balance this mattress so it didn't fall over. When he got close to me, I noticed that he his right eye was missing. It seems like he wants to talk to me and catch up, but he was called back to finish closing up the shop. I woke up there.

Tom was my friend in Michigan who was into BDSM. I haven't seen or talked to him in years. When I looked up what it means to pluck the right eye out, it made sense why I dreamed of him.

Image Credit

Matthew 5:29

If your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell.

Image by D-Keine

"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king."


From Wiki: A similar (yet much earlier, dating to the 4th or 5th century CE) turn of phrase, and Erasmus' possible inspiration, appears in the Genesis Rabbah as בשוק סמייא צווחין לעווירא סגי נהור, meaning 

"In the street of the blind, the one-eyed man is called the Guiding Light".

Art by Slavia Droid

No comments:

Post a Comment