Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Forever Home

"Heimkehr" (Homecoming), by Hans Adolf Buhler (1936)

Last night I heard, "That one is your forever home."

I'm not sure if they mean you or me.

Home is where the heart is.

There's no place like home.

Have you been bouncing around from home to home to home looking for genuine connection that truly FEELS like home and like you never want to leave?

I think I have been homeless until I found you.

Art by Catrin Welz-Stein

It's true, my heart was used to sleeping in a cage and was rarely given food.

My heart managed to break the cage. I took to sleeping in the forest and waking with bits of moss and pine needles in my hair. When I came to your door, I was a wild thing without any manners. The child I kept hidden inside actually came out to play with you. We laughed, we played, we fought and we made up. We played dress up and performed as different people, but all the while we were becoming closer and connected without realizing what was happening. 

How did that happen?

Art by Christian Schloe

How many times did I try to walk away and shut you out of my mind? I couldn't have known that a tiny ember you left behind would eventually grow into an inferno.

I hung up a sign that says "Home Sweet Home" in case you should ever want to return to feel the fires you built within me.

Please come home.

I miss you.

I want to hold you so you can feel my love fully.

No comments:

Post a Comment