Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Say Something

Art by Lorenza Pigliamosche (IG: _pigliamosche)

I want to say something, but I don't know what. 

I guess I will share some thoughts I shared on a message board thread pertaining to Keanu Reeves.

This was me responding to a comment about the announcement that Keanu is going to star in a Broadway play:

It's a bucket list thing, I think. If you had the ability to fulfill your bucket list items, wouldn't you? Keanu just has a lot more resources and connections to actually make it happen.

It's not a matter of being particularly good at it, but having the experience.

While I find him questionable in many ways, I can respect a desire to fulfill a long time dream.

Jinkx Monsoon is a local drag queen. I just watched her on season five of RuPaul's Drag Race. In it she said she wanted to be the first drag queen to perform in a Broadway play...and she made that dream happen! I have so much respect when people actually make their dreams come true. It takes a lot of courage to overcome self doubts and fears to move forward towards our dreams...probably even for Keanu.

The question should not be, "Will I be good at it?" but the question should be, "If I died tomorrow, would I regret not having tried in order to have the experience?"

If we always live our lives for other people and their opinions, we stop living.

I was responding to: "She doesn't deserve to be with him. Here come my haters!!!"

For the record, I'm not a hater. I just happen to hold different opinions, that's all.

"Deserve" is a curious word. To say that she doesn't deserve him would suggest to me that you elevate him in your own mind, given everything else said.

In my mind, they deserve each other.

I think they are very similar people and have similar character. Being faced with someone so similar to one's self can seem like a blessing in the beginning, but further into the relationship, it can be the very thing that becomes a source of conflict.

It's not always comfortable to be faced with someone so similar to ourselves because all of our own deficits are reflected back at us in the form of another person. A person willing to grow will use that mirror and change, but a person unwilling to grow will only point fingers at the other person and blame them for all of the problems and never see they are guilty of exactly the same things they don't like in the other person.

Regardless of who we choose, be it friends, romantic partners, or work partners, we are faced with opportunities to become better people regardless of how difficult or pleasant it might be.

I wish for them growth and expansion.

I was responding to someone who, in recent months, has gained a lot of people disliking her for being a voice of reason and closing out her comments with "Keanu + Honey forever":

Thank you for continuing to share your thoughts even when it feels like the water you are swimming in is filled with hungry sharks wanting to shred you to bits for fun. Your voice is valuable. Something you said helped me shift back into a higher gear. I'm grateful.

I'm not a fan of Keanu, but that doesn't mean I can't be more thoughtful and respectful of those who are for their own reasons.

You demonstrated your empathy by pointing out that Alexandra is a person with feelings which was a reminder to me that Keanu, also, is a person who has feelings even though it is very easy to dehumanize the very famous. It's very easy to think that what we say doesn't matter because "that celebrity won't ever see or care what I say".

What we say is like a pebble thrown into a pond. We can watch the ripples moving out when we see someone else adopting our expressions be it negative or positive.

We, too, should choose wisely.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment