Thursday, May 30, 2024

The Crow: 30 Years Later


I went to see the original The Crow movie last night. It was the 30th anniversary of its release. Thirty years ago I was in my Midwestern home town. A friend told me I had to see it with her. She had already seen it once but said she would happily see it again. 

It took my breath away.

Immediately after the viewing we went to a nearby field next to a trail and watched as a million fireflies flashed, lighting up the night sky. It felt magical as I processed what I had just viewed on screen.

About a week later, I would pack up my car of everything I could fit in and drive 2000 miles to Portland, Oregon. I was 25 and it was the first time I was truly on my own with no safety net. 

I arrived June 7th and the Crow soundtrack became part of the soundtrack of my life. I played it on repeat that year. It was my solace when I cried so many tears and tried to adjust to being somewhere so unfamiliar and knowing absolutely no one. I ended up seeing the movie a total of seven times in the theater. Yesterday makes eight times.

The Crow will always hold a very special place in my heart. Despite the violence, above all, it is a love story. It is a story of overcoming darkness, transcendence and prevailing in the end...even if that is in the afterworld.

No comments:

Post a Comment