Sunday, January 29, 2017

Labels in Sexuality



Recently I was reflecting on various dreams I had with a specific theme. I shared a few of them on Instagram. The most recent one was about a trans woman. During my search for good quotes about gender neutrality, I stumbled upon someone I knew nothing about until that moment. Her name is Laura Jane Grace and she is the front woman for the punk band, Against Me!. She is transgender, male to female. I watched one of her interviews and, I am not afraid to admit, I developed a huge crush on her after watching that interview. While I find her physically attractive, it wasn't her appearance that reeled me in like a fish on a hook. It was her presence, her energy, who she is and what she stands for. I saw someone who is a lot like me in many ways and I was excited about it. The more I learned about her the more I fell in love with her.

Now at this point I think it is important to point out that for the last 48 years, I have identified myself as "straight". I have never experimented. I have never been with a woman. So to suddenly find my mind wandering and thinking about Laura Jane and the "what ifs" took me by surprise.

What if I dated Laura Jane, a trans woman, what would I be called? Lesbian? Bi-sexual? And then I got annoyed that a label would be needed at all.

Sexuality labels are used to advertise a preference for one or the other. But what about bi, you might ask. Well bi means "two" and I think there are many variations of gender and gender identification. What if you don't identify with gender at all? Bi-sexual is still limiting.

My mental meanderings wandered to the spiritual side of sexuality and this is where I feel it gets interesting. The more spiritually developed you become, the more open you become because you know our true form has no gender at all. You understand that love is love and there should be no shame in two adults being intimate and loving each other regardless of their gender identification. You no longer limit yourself to one gender or another. You base your decisions on how you feel and those on the spiritual journey are much more inclined to fall in love with a SOUL and not limit themselves based on the temporary vehicle we drive for awhile which we call a body.

As I said on Instagram, Soul doesn't have a gender but we experience all of these lives in both male and female bodies to experience contrast. Doesn't it stand to reason that eventually the lines start to blur as we start to wake up and remember who we really are, as we remember our genderless natural state of being and as we come into balance?

Love is love.

I am not my body.

My sexuality is "open".

I Love You

I love you.
And I can love in whatever way you need me to.
I don't care if you are male or female.
I don't care if you are rich or poor.
I don't care how you wear your hair or what clothes you choose to wear.
I don't care if you are young or old.
I don't care what color or ethnicity you are.
I don't care what size or shape your body is.
I don't care if you have a religion or a political party.
The you I love is none of those things.
But while we are both here in the physical, I can love you in whatever form you need.
I can love you as a friend, as a mother, as a sister and as a lover.
I have already loved you as all of those and more in previous lives, so I can love you in whatever way you need in this lifetime, in this now moment.

Written January 20, 2017
By Oktobre Taylor